Professor Thad Kousser examines the factors that changed California from a predominantly Republican state to a heavily Democratic state. After the Cold War, population and demographic distribution in the state shifted. But it was the anti-immigrant ballot measure endorsed by Republican Pete Wilson that swung the Latino voting bloc into the Democratic camp.
- Type of Content: Tutorial
- Title: Thad Kousser discusses California Politics
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2016
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Politics & International Relations
- Subject: California Politics, Party Politics, American Political History
- Duration: 00:13:41
- Keywords: anti-immigrant politics, ballot initiatives, California, Cold War, conservative organizations, cultural differences, Democratic Party, demographics of the United States, direct democracy, elections, employment patterns, evangelicalism, immigration and citizenship, immigration legislation, maps and map-making, military industries, minority groups, petitions, policy formation, policy impacts, political alienation, Proposition 187, Republican Party, trends and developments in demographics in the United States
Pete Wilson, 1933-People
Academic: Thad KousserOnline ISBN:9781473990746Copyright: (c) SAGE Publications Ltd., 2016