Dr. Catherine Borshuk presents an overview of the study into altruism. Starting with the now-debunked story of the attack on Kitty Genovese, Borshuk examines the bystander effect, righteous Gentiles, nurturing behavior, and gender/culture differences in altruistic behavior.
- Type of Content: Case Study
- Title: Social Psychology Studies Altruism
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2016
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Psychology
- Subject: Prosocial Behavior, Social Psychology (general)
- Duration: 00:15:49
- Keywords: altruism, attention and consciousness, bystander intervention, care giving, cultural differences, decision making, diffusion of responsibility, emergency aid, engagement and intervention, gender and behavior, helping behavior, help-seeking behavior, Holocaust, individualism / collectivism, inhibition (psychology), interpreting evidence, Kitty Genovese, modeling of behavior, moral agency, non conformity, pluralistic ignorance, prevention of crime and violent behavior, research, Sexual assault, Similarity measures, Social psychology, Socialization, traits, voluntary actions
Academic: Catherine BorshukOnline ISBN:9781473978225Copyright: (c) SAGE Publications Ltd., 2016