Dr. Thurston Domina discusses inequality and education, particularly how education reinforces and builds inequalities. He highlights research that has had an impact outside of the field, and describes the challenges of studying the sociology of education.
- Type of Content: Interview
- Title: Thurston Domina Discusses Inequality & Education
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2017
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Sociology
- Subject: Inequality & Education, Higher Education, Sociology of Education (general)
- Duration: 00:26:40
- Keywords: academic achievement, affluent children, balance of power, career development, categorization, Catholic schools, Charles Tilly, charter schools and minority achievement, class inequality: achievement, class structure, college choice, context in education, cultural capital, culture of poverty, data analysis, data collection, debates, disadvantaged young people, early education programming, educational inequality in the United States, elementary school, elites, ethnic diversity, habitus, head start, high school exit exams, higher education, influential texts and figures of veneration, oppositional culture, outcomes, parent child relations, personal experience, perspective taking, policy advice, policy research, poverty and education, public awareness and education, quantitative research approach, race and education, race and gender in education, research, research methodology, School violence, Social action, Social mobility, Sociology of education, Standardized testing, Stratification, tracking in u.s. schools, transition, uncertainty
Academic: Thurston DominaOnline ISBN:9781473999275Copyright: © SAGE Publications Ltd, 2017