Dr. Muzammil Quraishi traces the history of the social construction of race and racism. He explains that when natural science classification systems were applied to humanity, white Europeans used them to create a hierarchy of worth. Many colonial abuses were linked to this hierarchy, as are modern stereotypes about different races.
- Type of Content: Tutorial
- Title: Historical Social Construction of Race and Racism
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2017
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Sociology
- Subject: Racism & Discrimination, Historical Sociology
- Duration: 00:16:46
- Keywords: abolition, Bengali people, biology, British Empire, coercion and power, colonialism, colonies, criminality prediction, critical race theory, discourse, dominance hierarchies, enlightenment, ethnographic photography or filmmaking, Europeans, exploitation, genetics, hierarchical classification systems, history, honor, independence movements, justification, labor force, legislation, living conditions, migration patterns, military and race, natural sciences, negativity, plantations, race and racism, race theory, racial identity, racialization, recruitment, rhetoric, Slavery, Social construction of race, Social control, Social order, Stereotypes and stereotyping, traits
Passage of Criminal Tribes Act, 1871
Academic: Muzammil QuraishiOnline ISBN:9781473955141Copyright: (c) SAGE Publications Ltd., 2017