Tony Harcup examines ethics in journalism, highlighting independence from influence and the relative values of truth, privacy and the public interest. He devotes special attention to the News of the World phone hacking scandal, the coverage of the Hillsborough Stadium disaster, and the buildup to the Iraq War.
- Type of Content: Case Study
- Title: Ethics in Journalism
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Publication year: 2015
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Media, Communication & Cultural Studies
- Subject: Media Ethics, Journalism, Media Studies (general)
- Duration: 00:19:40
- Keywords: agency (sociology), editorial policies, hacking, influence (psychology), media coverage, media coverage of the Iraq War, media portrayals and representations, power and authority, press ethics, privacy, propaganda, public interest, truth, value judgment
News of the World
International Federation of Journalists
Hillsborough Stadium disaster
Academic: Tony HarcupOnline ISBN:9781473942035Copyright: © SAGE Publications, 2015