- Skill: Avoiding Common Errors in Your Academic and Professional Writing
- Publisher: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Publication year: 2022
- Online pub date:
- Discipline: Style & Coherence
- Keywords: cats, construction, errors, essays, grammar, proofreading, publications, punctuation, sentencing, type I errors
Online ISBN:9781071885284Copyright: © SAGE Publications, Inc. 2022
This Skill will discuss the various errors to avoid in both your academic and professional writing in terms of punctuation and grammar. It will also unpack the concept of “correct” versus “incorrect” grammar, as well as taking the time to discuss some modern examples of grammar which can cause confusion in students’ writing.
It’s important to be mindful of the ways in which your use of grammar and punctuation can contribute to the overall impression you make on your reader and your essay’s overall score. A piece of writing which communicates clearly and has in-depth analysis will lack polish if the grammar or punctuation has issues.
Specifically, this Skill will discuss punctuation issues such as comma splices, run-on sentences, and sentence fragments, as well as focusing on apostrophe use. Knowing how to use punctuation in appropriate ways in your writing will ensure that your work indeed has that extra polish and professionalism.
Upon completion of this Skill, you should be able to:
- Use commas in appropriate ways for the context of academic and professional writing
- Distinguish the different uses of apostrophes and know how to use them in the right way
- Understand how additional forms of punctuation, notably semicolons and scare quotes, can contribute to your style of writing
- Have a clear understanding of the ways in which pronouns are used, especially in the current era
- Understand the importance of proofreading your work before submission
- Have a good knowledge of the subjunctive mood and how this is expressed grammatically
- Overall, take all the information presented and in doing so, develop a better style within your writing