The SAGE Handbook of Health Psychology represents a landmark work in the field, gathering together in a single volume contributions from an internationally renowned group of scholars. It provides a definitive, one-stop, authoritative guide to the major themes and debates in health psychology, both past and present, and should in time become a classic reference work for a wide, international readership. Its coverage is comprehensive, both traditional and innovative, and reflects the latest in global health psychology research from a wide perspective. This includes the latest work in epidemiology of health and illness, health-related cognitions, chronic illness, interventions in changing health behaviour, research methods in health psychology and biological mechanisms of health and disease. As a result its potential as an authoritative entry point to those new to the discipline as well as those already working inside it is very high. Given its breadth of content and accessibility, the Handbook will be indispensable for advanced students as well as researchers. Expertly organized by editors of international stature, and authored by a similar team of luminaries in the field, this single volume Handbook is an essential purchase for individuals and librarians worldwide.
- Chapter 1: Context and Perspectives in Health Psychology
- Chapter 2: Epidemiology of Health and Illness: A Socio-Psycho-Physiological Perspective
- Chapter 3: Biological Mechanisms of Health and Disease
- Chapter 4: Determinants of Health-Related Behaviours: Theoretical and Methodological Issues
- Chapter 5: Health-Related Cognitions
- Chapter 6: Individual Differences, Health and Illness: The Role of Emotional Traits and Generalized Expectancies
- Chapter 7: Stress, Health and Illness
- Chapter 8: Living with Chronic Illness: A Contextualized, Self-Regulation Approach
- Chapter 9: Lifespan, Gender and Cross-Cultural Perspectives in Health Psychology
- Chapter 10: Communicating about Health Threats and Treatments
- Chapter 11: Applications in Health Psychology: How Effective are Interventions?
- Chapter 12: Research Methods in Health Psychology
- Chapter 13: Assessment and Measurement in Health Psychology
- Chapter 14: Professional Issues in Health Psychology