Pacific Islands Forum (PIF)
Established: As the South Pacific Forum by a subgroup of the South Pacific Commission meeting August 5, 1971, in Wellington, New Zealand; current name adopted October 3–5, 1999, effective October 2000.
Purpose: To facilitate cooperation among member states, to coordinate their views on political issues of concern to the subregion, and to accelerate member states’ rates of economic development.
Headquarters: Suva, Fiji.
Principal Organs: The Forum, Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat.
Web site: www.forumsec.org
Secretary General of Forum Secretariat: Tuiloma Neroni Slade (Samoa).
Membership (16): Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
Associate Members (2): New Caledonia, French Polynesia.
Observers (3): Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Wallis and Futuna.
Official Language: English.
Origin and development. Since the South Pacific ...
- African Union (AU)
- Arab League
- Asia - Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM)
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
- Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
- Council of Europe
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- European Atomic Energy Community
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA)
- European Union (EU)
- Group of Eight
- Group of Twenty
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Non-Aligned Movement
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
- Pacific Islands Forum (PIF)
- Regional Development Banks
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Southern Cone Common Market (Mercosur/Mercosul)
- The Commonwealth
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations: Related Organization
- United Nations: Specialized Agencies
- World Trade Organization (WTO)