- International Organization
- International Organizations
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Organisation Internationale pour les Migrations
Organización Internacional para las Migraciónes (OIM)
Established: On December 5, 1951, in Brussels, Belgium, as a provisional movement to facilitate migration from Europe; formal constitution effective November 30, 1954; present name adopted in November 1989.
Purpose: To advance understanding of the causes and effects of migration; to collect, analyze, and disseminate information on migrant rights and welfare; to provide a forum for discussion of practical solutions to migration issues; to assist states in managing migration through resettlement, immigration, and the return and reintegration of migrants, refugees, displaced persons, and former combatants.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
Principal Organs: Council (all members and observer states), Executive Committee (33 members), Director General’s Office.
Web site: www.iom.int
Director General: William Lacey Swing (United States).
Membership (146): Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua & Barbuda, ...
- African Union (AU)
- Arab League
- Asia - Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM)
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
- Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
- Council of Europe
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- European Atomic Energy Community
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA)
- European Union (EU)
- Group of Eight
- Group of Twenty
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Non-Aligned Movement
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
- Pacific Islands Forum (PIF)
- Regional Development Banks
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Southern Cone Common Market (Mercosur/Mercosul)
- The Commonwealth
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations: Related Organization
- United Nations: Specialized Agencies
- World Trade Organization (WTO)