Western European Union (WEU)
Established: By protocols signed in Paris, France, October 23, 1954, effective May 6, 1955.
Purpose: Collective self-defense and political collaboration in support of European unity.
Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium.
Principal Organs: Council of Ministers, Permanent Council, Inter-Parliamentary European Security and Defense Assembly, Secretariat.
Web site: www.weu.int
Secretary General: Javier Solana Madariaga (Spain).
Membership (10): Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom.
Associate Members (6): Czech Republic, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, Poland, and Turkey.
Associate Partners (8): Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.
Observers (5): Austria, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, and Sweden.
Official Languages: English, French.
Origin and development. The Western European Union (WEU) is the direct successor of the five-power Brussels Treaty Organization, which was established by the United Kingdom, France, and the Benelux states through the Treaty of Economic, Social, and ...
- African Union (AU)
- Agency for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons in Latin America and the Caribbean (OPANAL)
- Andean Community of Nations (CAN)
- Arab League
- Arab Maghreb Union (AMU)
- Arab Monetary Fund (AMF)
- Arctic Council
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Association of Caribbean States (ACS)
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Bank for International Settlements (BIS/BIZ)
- Benelux Economic Union
- Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM)
- Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CEMAC)
- Central American Integration System (SICA)
- Central European Initiative (CEI)
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
- Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
- Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP)
- Council of Arab Economic Unity (CAEU)
- Council of Europe
- Council of the Baltic Sea States (CBSS)
- Council of the Entente
- East African Community (EAC)
- Economic Community of Central African States (CEEAC)
- Economic Community of the Great Lakes Countries (CEPGL)
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS/CEDEAO)
- Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO)
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA)
- European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)
- European Organization for the Safety of Air Navigation (EUROCONTROL)
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- Group of Seven/Group of Eight
- Group of Ten
- Group of Twenty
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)
- Indian Ocean Commission (IOC)
- Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC)
- Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD)
- International Criminal Police Organization (ICPO/INTERPOL)
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM/OIM)
- International Organization of the Francophonie (OIF)
- Latin American and Caribbean Economic System (LAES/SELA)
- Latin American Integration Association (LAIA/ALADI)
- Mano River Union
- Nonaligned Movement (NAM)
- Nordic Council
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO/OTAN)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD/OCDE)
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- Organization of American States (OAS/OEA)
- Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC)
- Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC)
- Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC)
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
- Pacific Community
- Pacific Islands Forum
- Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA)
- Permanent Interstate Committee on Drought Control in the Sahel (CILSS)
- Regional and Subregional Development Banks
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Southern Cone Common Market (MERCOSUR/MERCOSUL)
- The Commonwealth
- The European Union (EU)
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations: Related Organization
- United Nations: Specialized Agencies
- West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA)
- Western European Union (WEU)
- World Customs Organization (WCO)/Customs Co-Operation Council (CCC)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)