“A Practical Introduction to Homeland Security and Emergency Management: From Home to Abroad serves as an extremely versatile, useful and timely addition to the homeland security field.” – Jason Levy, Virginia Commonwealth University A Practical Introduction to Homeland Security and Emergency Management: From Home to Abroad offers a comprehensive overview of the homeland security field, examining topics such as counter-terrorism, border and infrastructure security, and emergency management. Authors Bruce Newsome and Jack Jarmon take a holistic look at the issues and risks, their solutions, controls, and countermeasures, and their political and policy implications. They also demonstrate through cases and vignettes how various authorities, policymakers and practitioners seek to improve homeland security. The authors evaluate the current practices and policies of homeland security and emergency management and provide readers with the analytical framework and skills necessary to improve these practices and policies.
Chapter 9: Infrastructure Security
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
At the end of this chapter, you should be able to understand
- The recent evolution of infrastructure policy
- The definition of infrastructure
- What the sector-specific categories of the critical infrastructure are
- The framework and partnership structure for interaction between the private sector and government
- What the obstacles for information sharing between government and industry are
- What supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) is
- The current national infrastructure status and vulnerabilities
- The estimate process for determining the costs of the cascading economic loss due to infrastructure destruction and/or disruption
- The central points in the discussion over ownership rights and responsibilities of critical-infrastructure assets and how this influences homeland security authority and policy
- The issues and potential of private–public partnership with respect to homeland security
- The complexity of critical-infrastructure inventory and ...