No previous book has pulled together into one place a single, comprehensive volume that provides up-to-date coverage of state government and politics, along with the states' current and future public policies. This new book does just that, offering students, scholars, citizens, policy advocates, and state specialists accessible information on state politics and policy in 34 topical chapters written by experts in the field.
The guide provides contemporary analysis of state institutions, processes, and public policies, along with both historical and theoretical perspectives that help readers develop a comprehensive understanding of the 50 U.S. states' complex and changing political spheres.
Those who use this volume—from experienced scholars to neophytes—can rely upon the guide to provide: Basic factual information on state politics and policy; Core explanatory frameworks and competing arguments; Insightful coverage of major policy areas as they have played out in the states.
- Chapter 24: Policy Process in the States 309
- Chapter 25: Innovations and Diffusion 319
- Chapter 26: Fiscal Policy 331
- Chapter 27: Moral Issues 343
- Chapter 28: Criminal Justice Policy and Public Safety in the American States 355
- Chapter 29: Education Policy 367
- Chapter 30: Environmental Policy 383
- Chapter 31: Health Care 395
- Chapter 32: Immigration 407
- Chapter 33: Welfare 419