Your Foundation in Health & Social Care provides readers with all the knowledge and skills necessary for effective learning at Foundation level, both in study and the workplace. It explores all the key areas of the Foundation degree, including values, communication, legal issues and psychology.
Chapter 9: Interpersonal Caommunication
- Your role as a care worker
- Communication skills
- The structure of interaction
- Working in groups
- Barriers to communication
- Managing conflict situations
By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the importance of effective communication.
- Recognize a range of communication skills.
- Monitor and evaluate your use of communication skills.
- Gain knowledge about groups and group behaviour.
- Reflect on ‘difference’ within the communication process.
- Recognize barriers to communication.
- Learn how to manage conflict situations.
You have made a choice to pursue a career in health and social care, working with people who, at the particular time at which you are involved with them, will be feeling ‘vulnerable’. The skills that you will need will primarily be those that many of us take for granted, but which you will ...