Your Foundation in Health & Social Care provides readers with all the knowledge and skills necessary for effective learning at Foundation level, both in study and the workplace. It explores all the key areas of the Foundation degree, including values, communication, legal issues and psychology.
Chapter 5: Developing a Professional Identity
- What is professional identity
- Interprofessional practice
- Barriers to developing a professional identity
- Communities of practice
- Models of identity
In this chapter we will:
- Explore the concept of professional identity for health and social care workers.
- Consider influences on professional identity.
- Look at the implications of professional identity for inter-professional working.[Page 118]
- Examine barriers to developing a professional identity and how this affects role of students on placement or in the work place.
- Reflect on the idea of a professional journey and its continuation after your initial course.
This chapter encourages you to take an analytical perspective on aspects of professional development, particularly the notion of a professional identity. It encourages you to be critical of concepts, constructs and influences related to being a ...