Your Foundation in Health & Social Care provides readers with all the knowledge and skills necessary for effective learning at Foundation level, both in study and the workplace. It explores all the key areas of the Foundation degree, including values, communication, legal issues and psychology.
Chapter 4: The Social Context of Health and Social Care
- UK government expenditure on health and social care and the ‘mixed economy of care’
- The challenges to medicine from critics
- Health inequalities
- Acute and chronic illness
- Future social and cultural change and the challenges posed to the relation ships between health and social care professionals
By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand what is meant by the ‘social context’ of health and the ways in which health and social care must be seen in its social context.
- See how sociological theory and evidence help to clarify some of the dominant issues in health and social care.
- Describe some of the contested areas in health and social care and ...