Helps teachers include multimodal approaches in writing instruction, demonstrates how to build a supportive classroom environment for analyzing visual and audiovisual texts, and includes a CD-ROM.
In This Section
- writing from pictures in the mind
- using the Multimodal Planning and Teaching Sequence for narrative
- how words and images work together to create stories
- Classroom account: Making illustrated play scripts in Year 2
- visual prompts for flexible planning
- mapping narratives
- telling the backstory
- developing character and dialogue
- creating atmosphere and narrative tension
- shaping ideas into episodes
- structuring heroic adventure stories
- Writing and Film
- pacing narratives with graphic frames
- the whole story
- Classroom account: The full story: making picture books for younger readers in Years 3/4.
Pictures in the Mind
Many children use their experience of visual texts to give them inspiration for writing. Picture books, film, still images, graphic novels and computer games can be a rich source for imaginative writing, offering models of settings, character and plot as scaffolds. Sometimes, however, the images can stay within the ...