Helps teachers include multimodal approaches in writing instruction, demonstrates how to build a supportive classroom environment for analyzing visual and audiovisual texts, and includes a CD-ROM.
Planning and Teaching Multimodal and Written Texts
In This Section
- research which supports planning integrated and extended units of work
- the Multimodal Planning and Teaching Sequence
- the process of writing and the process of multimodal text construction
- becoming familiar with the text type: reading and analysing
- Capturing and Recording Ideas
- planning and structuring ideas
- drafting, revising and proofreading
- Teacher Modelling
- Using the Sequence Flexibly
- Classroom Account: Designing and Writing Non-Chronological Reports in Year 5.
Recent research in teaching multimodality has highlighted the importance of longer-term integrated approaches to planning and teaching (Essex Writing Project, 2002–2005; PNS/UKLA, 2004). Great gains have been made in children's writing through teaching which combines the visual, print texts, drama and talk with the more usual teaching of reading and writing. The research has also shown ...