Helps teachers include multimodal approaches in writing instruction, demonstrates how to build a supportive classroom environment for analyzing visual and audiovisual texts, and includes a CD-ROM.
What are Multimodal Texts?
In This Section
- defining multimodal texts
- writing and multimodality
- affordance and design: using different modes and media
- texts that show and texts that tell
- surveying what children know about multimodality
- developing ways of talking about writing and multimodality
- Classroom Account: Planning and Making Picture Books with Years ½
- popular culture and writing.
Defining and Describing Multimodal Texts
Digital technology has brought significant changes to writing over the last 20 years or so. In everyday print-based communications like newspapers, information leaflets or advertising, words are now almost always accompanied by photographs, diagrams or drawings, and the print is enhanced by a variety of font sizes and shapes. Screens are much more familiar in shops, workplaces, schools and homes. Mobile phones transmit images and words as well as sound. Many ...