Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 3: Showing Feelings
- To consolidate the previous two sessions' work on showing interest and sharing.
- To establish that trust is important in friendships.
- To explore how important it is to feel we can rely on our friends and know that they won't let us down.
Materials and Preparation
- Flipchart or whiteboard and pens (for ‘Secrets scenarios’).
- Use ‘Secrets scenarios’ from the CD-ROM. Make one copy (for the activity ‘Secrets scenarios’).
- A set of small cards for the game ‘Wink murder’. Cut enough for one for each child, plus one more, (and cards for the staff). They should all be blank except two: one should have the word ‘Murderer’ on it and the other the word ‘Detective’.
Introductory Name Game — Affirmation Game
This game draws on the challenge given to the children at the end ...