Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 2: Exploring Feelings
The material in this session is based around a problem which is pertinent to a deaf pupil. To give a sense of continuity the same example is used and developed in the following sessions. In this way a clear sequence is described which may be adapted for any child with a special need.
- To encourage the children to be aspirational.
- To encourage the children to see that to fulfil our aspirations they need to take responsibility for their learning.
- To focus the attention of the group onto a specific instance of difficulty when learning in a mainstream class.
- To suggest solutions.
- To practise solutions.
- To identify the most effective solution.
Materials and Preparation
- Use ‘Don't just sit there …’ from the CD-ROM, or write some bubbles with other common problems ...