Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 5: Empathy and Affirmation
- To give the group further opportunities to ‘turn negatives into positives’.
- To encourage the children to ‘own’ key facts about themselves with which they feel positive.
Materials and Preparation
- Flipchart and pens. (For ‘One good thing about today’ and ‘Never mind’ and ‘A day in the life of Jake revisited’.)
- Use the resource ‘Never mind’ produced on card, if possible. Cut into individual cards. Label each card A on the back. (For use with ‘Never mind’.)
- Blank cards that are the same size as the cards described above as Card A. Have enough for 2 for each pair. Label each one B. (For use with ‘Never Mind’.)
- Blu Tac (For use with ‘Never mind’.)
- Photographs of still images and written expressions from ‘A day in the life of Jake’. ...