Originally developed for deaf children, this innovative and successful drama programme addressing personal, social and emotional needs can benefit all children in primary schools. The interactive and lively ideas cover a variety of themes from empathy to assertiveness. Bringing together the expertise of a drama teacher and the skills of a teacher of the deaf, the book provides an unconventional way of exploring human concerns.
Session 2: Exploring Feelings
- To consolidate the work on feelings engendered by bad experiences in friendship.
- To consolidate the idea of saying/signing positive things to each other.
- To explore the way in which conflict escalates.
- To explore the growth of anger.
- To explore the difference between mistakes and planned behaviour.
Materials and Preparation
- A4 paper cut into two vertical strips. Fold each strip into six, like a concertina. This is going to be a ‘consequence concertina’. Prepare enough for one per pair, plus one more for demonstration purposes. Write a scenario which might set off a friendship breakdown on the top section of the demonstration strip. Examples can be found under the heading ‘Consequence concertina scenarios’ at the end of this session or use the ideas from the children's ‘Causes of friendship ...