- Subject index
This book provides an overview essential for a proper understanding of effective approaches to PSHE education in secondary education and the valuable role it can play in promoting the health and wellbeing of adolescents. Coverage includes: • The importance and scope of PSHE education • The theory and research evidence for effective practice in the secondary school • School structures which support effective teaching and learning in PSHE education • Assessment for, and of, learning in PSHE education • The role of visiting experts in PSHE education • Overlaps with pastoral and therapeutic support
Chapter 9: Understanding Drug Education within PSHE Education
Understanding Drug Education within PSHE Education
Through reading and reflecting on the content of this chapter you will begin to:
- explore your own attitudes to drugs
- review data on drug misuse by young people of school age
- understand why some young people misuse drugs
- be able to plan and implement effective, inclusive approaches to drug education within PSHE education, supported by a whole school approach.
Before we start
Draw and/or describe in words a young person who has a problem with drugs.
- How old is the young person you are thinking about?
- Why does this young person have a problem with drugs?
- What are the risks involved for the young person?
- If possible, compare your ...