This book outlines how good teaching of primary geography can extend children’s world awareness and help them make connections between their environmental and geographical experiences. Chapters offer guidance on important learning and teaching issues as well as the use and creation of resources from the school environment to the global context. It covers all the key topics in primary geography including: understanding places physical and human geography environmental sustainability learning outside the classroom global issues citizenship and social justice. Summaries, classroom examples and practical and reflective tasks are included throughout to foster understanding and support the effective teaching of primary geography.
Chapter 2: Valuing Geography : The importance and nature of geography
Valuing Geography : The importance and nature of geography
This chapter enables you to:
- appreciate what geography is about and why it is relevant to us all, including primary age children;
- become aware of the key ideas that are important in understanding geography and what it studies;
- recognise and give examples of geography in everyday life from your own experience;
- consider geographical thinking, living geographies, topicality and geography, and geographical significance;
- appreciate the aims of and focus for geography in early childhood and primary education for children from 3 to 11/12 years of age;
- make links to your national, local and school geography curriculum requirements and/or guidance.
This chapter considers what geography is about in order to develop your understanding of the ...