This book outlines how good teaching of primary geography can extend children’s world awareness and help them make connections between their environmental and geographical experiences. Chapters offer guidance on important learning and teaching issues as well as the use and creation of resources from the school environment to the global context. It covers all the key topics in primary geography including: understanding places physical and human geography environmental sustainability learning outside the classroom global issues citizenship and social justice. Summaries, classroom examples and practical and reflective tasks are included throughout to foster understanding and support the effective teaching of primary geography.
Chapter 14: Planning Primary Geography Teaching
Planning Primary Geography Teaching
This chapter enables you to:
- understand that by planning effectively you are becoming a geography curriculum maker;
- appreciate the need for effective planning to enable successful learning outcomes in geography for the children you teach;
- recognise the need for short-, medium- and long-term planning for geography;
- appreciate the role of different types of plans and understand the importance of adapting these to suit your own needs as well as ensuring their suitability for your situation and circumstances;
- be aware of the need for progression and differentiation in your geography planning.
This chapter considers the planning of your geography teaching. Planning is essential in order to give you a clear sense of direction, enabling you to make decisions as your teaching of ...