Leave instruction to the experts!
- Chapter 1: The Promise and the Peril of the Common Core State Standards
- Chapter 2: Old Wine in Broken Bottles: The Common Core State Standards and “Zombie New Criticism”
- Chapter 3: Using the Most Powerful Resource We Have for Teaching Students Something New: The Case for Background Knowledge
- Chapter 4: Teaching for Transfer: Why Students Need to Learn How to Attend to Any Text
- Chapter 5: No Text Is an Island: How to Get Students Farther With Text-by-Text Sequencing
- Chapter 6: Aiming for Complex Interpretation: How to Be Street Smart About Choosing Complex Texts
- Chapter 7: Putting Our Money Where Our Mouths Are: Our Unit for Teaching “Letter From Birmingham Jail”