Streamline literacy instruction while increasing student achievement DaveR. Stuart Jr.’s work is centered on a simple belief: all students and teachers can flourish. Yet that seemingly simple goal can feel unattainable when teachers are expected to teach core content within the disciplines and improve literacy in their classrooms. How can teachers and students flourish under so much pressure? Stuart’s advice: Take a deep breath and refocus on six known best practices– establish and strengthen key beliefs, then build knowledge and increase reading, writing, speaking and listening, and argumentation in every content area, every day. These 6 Things is all about streamlining your practice so that you’re teaching smarter, not harder, and kids are learning, doing, and flourishing in ELA and content-area classrooms. In this essential new resource, teachers will receive  • Proven, classroom-tested advice delivered in an approachable, teacher-to-teacher style that builds confidence  • Practical strategies for streamlining instruction in order to focus on key beliefs and literacy-building activities  • Solutions and suggestions for the most common teacher and student “hang-ups”  • Numerous recommendations for deeper reading on key topics In addition to teaching English and world history for more than a decade, Stuart is well-known for his blog DaveStuartJr.com, which has over 35,000 visitors each month. This popular resource has been a beacon of light for more than 10,000 subscribers who refuse to freak out about the everyday challenges of teaching in a high-stakes era. He presents professional development workshops and institutes for schools around the United States and offers a number of online learning tools and experiences on his website.

Onward and Upward

Onward and Upward

Image 65

Photo by Alyssa Roelofs.

If priorities aren’t incessantly simplified and clarified, they are always at the mercy of the next new thing.

—Mike Schmoker (2011, p. 16)

Complexity interferes with turning knowledge into action.

—Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert Sutton (2000, p. 55)

When I work with teachers, I propose the 5 percent rule—that each year they need to open 5 percent of their practice up to change, keeping the other 95 percent intact.

—Thomas Newkirk, in Glover and Keene (2015, p. 217)

We’ve covered a lot of territory together, and I now want to point you back to the Everest exercise we began with. Remember how I argued that our jobs are a lot harder than a mountain climber’s? Well, I left out some really good ...

  • Loading...
locked icon

Sign in to access this content

Get a 30 day FREE TRIAL

  • Watch videos from a variety of sources bringing classroom topics to life
  • Read modern, diverse business cases
  • Explore hundreds of books and reference titles