Theories and Applications of Counseling and Psychotherapy provides students with the foundational knowledge needed to implement various therapeutic approaches in individual and family counseling. The dynamic author team presents theories through a multicultural and social justice-oriented lens, including evidence to support each theory. Students will embrace chapter concepts through vibrant illustrations and relevant examples from movies, TV shows, photographs, paintings, musical lyrics, news articles, and other sources presented throughout.
Chapter 15: Moving Toward a Personal Theory of Counseling and Psychotherapy
Moving Toward a Personal Theory of Counseling and Psychotherapy
After reading this chapter, each student should be able to:
- Propose a connection between witnesses providing testimony during a murder trial and the proliferation of theoretical explanations surrounding mental health issues and their treatment.
- Plan your journey to find your own theoretical approach relying on the seven elements of formulating your personal theory of therapy.
- Assess the strengths and limitations of the four therapeutic approaches described in Table 15.1 based on the six areas represented in this table.
- Defend the argument that therapy is a blend of science and art.
- Critique the benefits and limitations of the forms of integration.
- Formulate your personal theory of counseling and psychotherapy to effectively treat ...