Theories and Applications of Counseling and Psychotherapy provides students with the foundational knowledge needed to implement various therapeutic approaches in individual and family counseling. The dynamic author team presents theories through a multicultural and social justice-oriented lens, including evidence to support each theory. Students will embrace chapter concepts through vibrant illustrations and relevant examples from movies, TV shows, photographs, paintings, musical lyrics, news articles, and other sources presented throughout.
Chapter 8: Behavioral Theory
After reading this chapter, each student should be able to:
- Discuss how the key players contributed to the development of behavioral theory.
- Assess the importance of the basic concepts to the practice of behavioral therapy.
- Critique the role of assessment in behavioral therapy.
- Propose how you would employ each behavioral technique or strategy to assist different clients with various presenting concerns.
- Explain the significance of the key terms presented in Table 8.8 to behavioral theory.
- Defend the relevance and validity of applying behavioral theory to Groundhog Day.
- Propose a set of behavioral techniques or strategies to assist Herlinda that were not mentioned in the chapter.
- Argue that behavioral therapy was an effective treatment for Mrs. Sanchez.
Those who say that a science of behavior is ...