This book demonstrates how pioneering teachers have successfully integrated screen-based literacies into instruction and how you can harness students’ social networking skills for learning.
- Chapter 1: The Writing is on the Screen: Social Networking is Here to Stay
- Terminology and Trends
- The Myth of a “Safe” Adolescence
- The Script at School
- The Structure of This Book
- New Literacies: Essential Questions
- Chapter 2: “Short”: Social Networking in a Low-Tech Environment
- How Have We Been Shaped by Media Experiences?
- How Do New Forms Shape Reading and Writing?
- How Do We Respond to Film Texts?
- What Does it Mean to Represent an Idea Visually?
- What Does “Genre” Mean, Particularly When We are Working across Texts?
- What is the Power behind Listing and Classifying Texts?
- How Do We Form Communities?
- How Can We Work Together?
- Who is the Audience for Our Writing in a New Media Age?
- How Do We Multitask or Do Things Simultaneously and/or Synchronously?
- How Do New Formats Transform Writing?
- Pausing to Reflect
- A Blog Post from the Field: Cassie Neumann
- Chapter 3: “Tall”: Social Networking in a Medium-Tech Environment
- How Do We Communicate Safely Online?
- What Does “Fair Use” Mean in a Web 2.0 World?
- What Does it Mean to Have a Dialogue with a Text Using Hyperlinks?
- What are the Generally Accepted Rules for Blogging?
- How Do We Co-Construct What We're Reading and Studying?
- How Can We Create Portfolios to Look at Work over a Period of Time?
- A Blog Post from the Field: William Chamberlain
- Chapter 4: “Grande”: Social Networking in a High-Tech Environment
- What is it like Being Part of the Blogosphere?
- What Does it Mean to Do Inquiry?
- How Do We Evaluate What We Read?
- How Do We Discuss Issues with People Face-to-Face and across the World?
- A Blog Post from the Field: Kim Whitaker
- Chapter 5: “Venti”: Social Networking in an Unlimited Tech Environment
- How Do We Use Facebook to Learn What We Need to Learn?
- What is it like to Telecommute?
- What Does Learning Look like outside of the School Day?
- A Blog Post from the Field: Clarence Fisher
- Chapter 6: “Refill”: Continuing the Dialogue
- Will Social Networking Be Used to Free Students or More Tightly Limit Their Freedoms?
- What is the Relationship between Entertainment and Education?
- Is There Enough Time in My Schedule for Social Networking?
- What Should Our Schools Aspire to?