This book provides an introduction to political and strategic aspects of nuclear weaponry. It offers an accessible overview of the concept of nuclear weapons, outlines how thinking about these weapons has developed and considers how nuclear threats can continue to be managed in the future.
Chapter 3: Nuclear Proliferation: Why States Build or Don't Build the Bomb
Nuclear Proliferation: Why States Build or Don't Build the Bomb
- Different reasons for ‘going nuclear’
- Vertical and horizontal proliferation
- The nuclear proliferation debate in the second nuclear age
- Nuclear latency and virtual nuclear arsenals
- Key points and guide to further reading and resources
Given that the technology and know-how needed to build ...