This book provides an introduction to political and strategic aspects of nuclear weaponry. It offers an accessible overview of the concept of nuclear weapons, outlines how thinking about these weapons has developed and considers how nuclear threats can continue to be managed in the future.
Chapter 1: What are Nuclear Weapons?
What are Nuclear Weapons?
- Uranium, plutonium and nuclear fission
- Genesis of the bomb: from the Manhattan Project to the Trinity Test
- Little Boy and Fat Man: Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Atom bombs and hydrogen bombs: assessing destructive capacity
- Key points and guide to further reading and resources
While most people probably have a general understanding of nuclear weapons – primarily that they are highly destructive, and that they were used against Japan at the end of the Second World War – why ...