Praise for the first edition:
“Mandel has written a very practical, informative manual for new teachers. His examples for classroom standards, incorporating a variety of activities for diverse students, and teaching test-taking skills are right on target. For answers to fundamental questions and stress relief, Mandel's manual is a must!”
—Johanna K. Lemlech, Professor Emerita
University of Southern California
“An extremely practical and user-friendly time-saver. Rather than beating around the bush with pages of statistics, philosophies, best practices, and methodologies, this toolbox cuts to the heart of real questions burning inside new teachers. New and experienced teachers can benefit from the quick fixes presented in this plentiful toolbox.”
—Leslie Gaillard, First-Year Teacher
Pacoima Middle School, Los Angeles, CA
A one-stop resource for all your first-year teaching needs!
This second edition is a concise yet complete guide for novice teachers, covering all the essentials for getting off to a good start. With new tips for everything from establishing an ideal classroom environment to making it through teacher evaluations, this revised edition helps you plan ahead with confidence, keep your perspective, and prepare for the unexpected.
The author introduces techniques by grade level, making the book easy to read sequentially or as a reference for specific situations. Written in a conversational tone, this completely revised edition includes an expanded section on Internet use and provides field-tested strategies on how to:
Encourage student participation and critical thinking; Establish fair grading practices; Modify instructional methods and curriculum for students with special needs; Increase parent involvement; Manage stress and maintain sanity
The Curriculum and the Students
- Fairness and Critical Thinking in Classroom Discussions
- How can I treat students fairly in classroom discussions and get them to think critically?
- Teaching Five Hours of Material in Only Three Hours
- How can I plan for teaching everything I am supposed to teach in a minimal amount of time?
- Keeping Students Interested
- How can I be creative when teaching the material in my first year?
- Teaching Test-Taking Skills
- How can I teach my students to succeed on tests?
- The Internet as the Ultimate Teacher Resource Center
- How can I quickly and efficiently supplement my curriculum using the Internet?
- Discipline Issues
- How can I prevent and alleviate discipline problems?