Become mind-fit for life! Learning is learnable! Educators can explicitly teach not just content, knowledge and skills, but also positive learning attitudes and habits of mind. Guy Claxton‘s The Learning Power Approach will help teachers understand how ‘every lesson, every day’ shapes the way students see themselves as learners. This is the beauty of the Learning Power Approach: it is something all teachers can integrate into their daily practice. Claxton’s work helps us notice ‘what lies beneath’ the surface of our teaching and attend more closely to the way we shape dispositions and attitudes. Readers will find: • approaches focused on building character alongside knowledge acquisition • cognitive, social and neuroscientific supportive evidence • practical illustrations and strategies Written by a renowned cognitive scientist, this book offers a ground-breaking set of design principles for strengthening students’ learning muscles. “This is the beauty of the Learning Power Approach. It is not a program, not a subject, not an add-on - it is something all teachers can integrate into their practice on a daily basis. Claxton’s work helps us notice ‘what lies beneath‘ the surface of our teaching and to attend much more closely to the way we shape dispositions and attitudes to learning.” Kath Murdoch, Education Consultant University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- Chapter 1: The Origins of the Learning Power Approach
- Chapter 2: What Is Learning?
- Chapter 3: What Exactly Is the Aim of the Learning Power Approach?
- Chapter 4: How Do I Get Started? Some Quick Wins
- Chapter 5: Why Does Learning Power Matter? 10 Good Reasons for Pumping Those Learning Muscles
- Chapter 6: What Is Learning Power Made Of?
- Chapter 7: Learning Power in Action: Some Classroom Illustrations
- Chapter 8: Design Principles of the LPA Classroom
- Chapter 9: What Is the Evidence for the Learning Power Approach?
- Chapter 10: Distinctions and Misconceptions
- Chapter 11: Joining the Culture Club