The secrets of coaching excellence are already inside you Successful coaching has long been seen as a mental exercise — in order to do right by the teachers you serve, you put theory into practice, establish orderly processes, analyze data effectively, and implement externally mandated reforms. The truth, though, is that truly great coaches derive their success not just from what they do, but also from who they are. This groundbreaking book, based on research from an innovative mixed-methods study, provides a holistic approach to coaching that honors both mind and heart. As you explore the most important characteristics of the best instructional coaches — caring, authenticity, trustworthiness, flexibility, and more — you’ll develop and hone those same characteristics in yourself. Features include: A framework and structure for developing the characteristics of effective instructional coaches Comprehensive analysis of each characteristic Examples and stories of effective coaching in action Activities, exercises, and action points Resources for encouragement and renewal School coaches have the power to make a real difference in the lives and futures of teachers and students. By balancing your outward competencies with the inspirational application of your own inward growth, you’ll bring new joy — and success — into your coaching relationships.
- Introduction and Overview
- Collaborative I believe every person is of value and that students benefit, difficult challenges are overcome, and friendships are forged through meaningful collaborative work.
- Caring I continually refine my motives, speech, actions, and heart so that I can genuinely care for those I coach.
- Competent I know, understand, and apply current instructional best practices and coaching techniques.
- Authentic I like who I am.
- Quality Communicator I connect and empower.
- Inspirational I desire and prepare to be an inspiring person.
- Flexible I can adapt and create positive change.
- Trustworthy I can be counted on.
- Planned I organize and facilitate teacher growth using a variety of quality tools and processes.
- Models I find ways to