This final chapter in Section 1 focuses in detail on multi-professional and multi-disciplinary approaches in the identification, assessment and management of ADHD. Several issues are discussed, including:
- the need for effective liaison between health and educational professionals, particularly when medication is used as part of a multi-modal intervention;
- multi-professional care pathways;
- the involvement of parents and schools in identification and assessment procedures;
- differences in awareness and attitudes among professionals and parents; and
- the use of labels or diagnostic classifications such as ADHD.
A Multi-Professional Approach
An accurate assessment of ADHD requires evidence of pervasiveness and should be based on detailed information from parents, teachers, educational psychologists and other professionals, with the formal diagnosis being made by a medical clinician. As previously mentioned, where medication is included as part of ...