Physical education is an important part of the primary curriculum and one that provides unique challenges for those involved with its teaching. This book offers a balanced and comprehensive overview of the subject, covering issues such as safe practice in PE, inclusion, subject leadership, and cross-curricular approaches supported by an accessible theory-informed approach. The Second Edition includes: • Links to the new National Curriculum in England • Each chapter mapped against the Teachers’ Standards • A new chapter on physical literacy and development in the early years and primary ages • A new chapter on health-focused education and the contribution of PE • Added case studies in every chapter • Enhanced coverage of assessment in PE This book includes a companion website with additional resources! This book includes a companion website with additional resources!
- Chapter 1: Why Physical Education?
- Chapter 2: How Pupils Learn and Develop
- Chapter 3: Planning the Learning Experience
- Chapter 4: Developing Motor Competences
- Chapter 5: Developing Knowledge, Skills and Understanding Across Areas of Activity
- Chapter 6: Inclusion in Physical Education
- Chapter 7: Approaches to the Teaching of Physical Education
- Chapter 8: Safe Practice in Physical Education
- Chapter 9: Health and Wellbeing
- Chapter 10: Promoting Physical Education Across the Curriculum
- Chapter 11: Physical Education and the Wider Community
- Chapter 12: Subject Leadership in Physical Education