This is a core text for trainee primary teachers. It is a guide to the teaching of computing and coding in primary schools, and an exploration of how children develop their computational thinking. It covers all areas of the National Curriculum for primary computing and offers insight into effective teaching.
Chapter 5: Developing Programming through Age-Appropriate Software: KS2 Curriculum and Pedagogy
Developing Programming through Age-Appropriate Software: KS2 Curriculum and Pedagogy
By the end of this chapter you should be able to:
- identify the Key Stage 2 curriculum requirements for programming;
- use and evaluate a range of software which builds upon children's skills knowledge and concepts of programming;
- demonstrate your own knowledge of how to use different software programs to teach the computing curriculum at KS2;
- identify ways in which pupils and teachers can work together to support the development of programming in KS2.
A teacher must:
- Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils:
- be aware of pupils' capabilities and their prior knowledge, and plan teaching to build on these.
- Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge:
- have a secure knowledge of ...