This is a core text for trainee primary teachers. It is a guide to the teaching of computing and coding in primary schools, and an exploration of how children develop their computational thinking. It covers all areas of the National Curriculum for primary computing and offers insight into effective teaching.
Chapter 3: Programming with Floor Robots
Programming with Floor Robots
By the end of this chapter you will:
- understand the pedagogical theories and practices of using floor robots to support teaching and learning;
- understand how floor robots can be used to engage children at different stages of learning;
- know how to program a floor robot and identify possible uses with children across the curriculum.
A teacher must:
- Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils:
- be aware of pupils' capabilities and their prior knowledge, and plan teaching to build on these.
- Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge:
- have a secure knowledge of the relevant subject(s) and curriculum areas, foster and maintain pupils' interest in the subject, and address misunderstandings.
- Plan and teach well-structured lessons:
- contribute to the design and provision ...