People are the most important resource for today's organizations. Organizations must invest in their employees to sustain a competitive advantage and achieve their strategic objectives. Strategic Training and Development translates theory and research into best practices for improving employee knowledge, skills, and behaviors in the workplace. Authors Robyn A. Berkley and David M. Kaplan take a holistic and experiential approach, providing ample practice opportunities for students. A strong focus on technology, ethics, legal issues, diversity and inclusion, and succession helps prepare students to succeed in today’s business environment.
Careers and Succession
- Discuss the relationship between jobs and careers.
- Determine which career stage an employee is experiencing.
- Discuss the goals and challenges experienced at each career stage.
- Differentiate between the directional paths that a career can follow.
- Compare and contrast traditional, boundaryless, and protean careers.
- Describe and categorize career anchors.
- Assess the appropriateness of providing training or development based on an employee’s career stage or type of career.
- Explain the importance of succession planning and differentiate between the different approaches.
- Explain how an assessment center works.
- Discuss the interaction between employee potential and performance.
- Complete and interpret an organizational depth chart.
- Understand the impact of career theories on succession planning.