This book provides essential knowledge and skills to address all the new social work education requirements for placements and practice learning. It will help your students successfully pass their compulsory social work placement whilst meeting the Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF) for Social Workers and developing their professional practice.
Chapter 1: The Idea of Social Work: A Brief Introduction
The Idea of Social Work: A Brief Introduction
Overview and Learning Outcomes
This chapter will cover:
- History, contexts and ideas about social work.
- Being and becoming a social worker.
By the end of Chapter 1 you will be able to:
- Offer an explanation to others of the roots and relevance of social work.
- Discuss the contemporary context of social work practice.
- Engage with debates about recent social work reforms.
- Make an effective contribution to debates about the purpose and future of social work.
Introduction to Chapter 1
This chapter seeks to orientate you to the practice of social work and to help you prepare for your forthcoming practice learning placement. It differs from the later parts of the book, where the focus is more on the placement ...