“Wells carefully shares important information, examples, and resources helpful to any district that is continually developing policies and procedures in technology. He has developed a wonderful field guide for any administrator charged with developing such policies.”
—Donnan Stoicovy, Principal, Park Forest Elementary School, State College, PA
Develop safe technology practices that support learning and protect your school, staff, and students!
Today's emerging technologies present educators with a wealth of teaching opportunities combined with challenges that include legal, safety, and privacy issues. This comprehensive guide is designed to support appropriate use of technology for teaching and learning and give school leaders a clear road map for creating, implementing, and maintaining effective instructional technology policies. In jargon-free terms, Christopher Wells explains legal considerations and offers case studies and concrete strategies help educators: Evaluate their schools' needs; Involve all school, district, and community stakeholders in a collaborative effort; Manage technology access to protect student and staff privacy; Respond to challenges presented by social networking and emerging technologies; Avoid inappropriate, costly use of technology; Develop acceptable use policies
Smarter Clicking helps school and district administrators develop policies that support the informed use of cutting-edge technology within an environment that advances learning while protecting schools, students, and staff.
- Chapter 1: Optional No Longer: The Need for Effective School Technology Policies
- Chapter 2: It's Everyone's Responsibility: A Collaborative Approach to Technology Policy Development
- Chapter 3: Good Fences Make Good Users: Policies for Protecting Privacy
- Chapter 4: Keeping Money in the Checking Account: Policies for Protecting Technology Investments
- Chapter 5: Knowing the Secret Handshake: Technology Access Policies
- Chapter 6: Buttons, Bells, and Flashing Lights: Managing K–12 Internet Use
- Chapter 7: No Stone Unturned: Implementing Technology Policies and Procedures
- Chapter 8: In My Crystal Ball, I See…: Emerging Technology Concerns