“Nonheterosexuals face an enormous amount of hostility and discrimination from many heterosexuals in the workplace and in society as a whole. This excellent book educates the reader about how individuals' sexual orientation may affect both how well they are accepted by their coworkers, and how they react to coworkers. It is useful in courses or training programs on diversity in general or on this particular topic. It also may be used by individuals outside of courses who simply want to learn more about sexual orientation as a workplace issue and about themselves. Amy J. Zuckerman and George F. Simons's book is definitely the best book on the topic.” --Gary N. Powell, Department of Management, University of Connecticut Sexual orientation is one of the most controversial ...
Digesting the Facts
- Do any of the statements on the previous pages surprise you? If so, how?
- How do they compare with the information you received growing up? What ideas about people's sexual orientation have you had to unlearn?
- Are these facts common knowledge in your workplace, organization, or social circle? What kind of misinformation exists?
- What are some of the most important things you would like to learn or questions you would like to answer by using this book? Here is a checklist of some possible outcomes. Add any that you feel are true for you.
- It could help me better understand or accept a coworker or friend who is different from me.
- I want to be a better manager or ...