Focused on teaching methods, Your Science Classroom: Becoming an Elementary / Middle School Science Teacher is a core textbook for use in elementary / middle school science methods courses. Designed around a practical, “practice-what-you teach” approach to methods instruction, the text is based on current constructivist philosophy and organized around 5E inquiry and guided by the National Science Education Teaching Standards. The text is purposely designed to prepare teachers to teach science in ways that foster positive attitudes and engagement in meaningful science learning for themselves and their students.
Part I: The Nature of Science
- Chapter 1: I Know what Science is! It's an Experiment!
- Chapter 2: Are You Scientifically Literate? Why We Teach Science
Part II: The Nature of the Learner
- Chapter 3: Children's Construction of Science
- Chapter 4: Children's Alternative Frameworks and Conceptual Change
Part III: The Nature of Science Teaching
- Chapter 5: Classroom Teaching Practices: Questioning and Inquiry
- Chapter 6: Inquiry Teaching Approaches and Science Process Skills
- Chapter 7: Inquiry Lesson Planning: 5E Inquiry Instructional Model
- Chapter 8: Assessment and Evaluation: A Guide for Science Instruction
Part IV: The Nature of Diversity in Science Teaching and Learning