Previous Chapter Chapter 2: Restoring Balance Next Chapter
Chapter 2: Restoring Balance
- Assessment is a continuous process that informs teaching and learning.
- Balance and equity in assessment are the pathways to student success.
- Continuously embed assessments to strengthen learning and inform instruction.
- Emphasize seamless integration of diverse methods rather than silos of assessment.
- Balanced systems unite audience, purpose, and process to meet the needs of all learners.
Assessment is out of balance. Even presidents have acknowledged that assessments must be worthy of our time, of high quality, designed to enhance teaching and learning, and give a well-rounded picture of how students and schools are doing (“Obama Administration,” 2015). A balanced approach is a coherent and comprehensive approach. It uses ongoing and embedded assessment while actively depending on growth measures. Multiple methods are valued ...