Designed to develop effective preventative approaches for learning mentors working with the emotional needs of vulnerable youngsters, this resource helps ensure that children and young people can learn ways to feel safe and valued and can build confidence to act independently.Resources for Learning Mentors shows mentors how to help young people: Develop a capacity to set realistic targets Build a positive view of their strengths and abilities Strengthen skills in communication and problem solving Improve their capacity to manage strong feelingsThe author provides comprehensive facilitator notes, activities, and resources to support positive mental health and well being.
Session One: Introducing Me
- To provide a variety of activity sheets that enable children and young people to become aware of their likes and dislikes.
- To promote awareness of factors that influence the way we feel about ourselves.
- For participants to understand that everyone has strengths, weaknesses, similarities and differences.
Plan for the Session
- ‘About Me’ activity sheet
- ‘My Window’ activity sheet
- ‘I am Cool Because …’ activity sheet
- ‘Cool News Inc.’ activity sheet
- ‘If I Had A Magic Wand’ activity sheet
- ‘Important People’ activity sheet
- ‘My Best Friend’ activity sheet
- ‘My Best Friend Thinks …’ activity sheet
- ‘My Group’ activity sheet
- ‘Everyone is Different’ activity sheet.
- Activity sheets
- Pens and pencils
- Coloured pencils or pens
- Polaroid camera and film
- Evaluation sheets.
Session One ...