Designed to develop effective preventative approaches for learning mentors working with the emotional needs of vulnerable youngsters, this resource helps ensure that children and young people can learn ways to feel safe and valued and can build confidence to act independently.Resources for Learning Mentors shows mentors how to help young people: Develop a capacity to set realistic targets Build a positive view of their strengths and abilities Strengthen skills in communication and problem solving Improve their capacity to manage strong feelingsThe author provides comprehensive facilitator notes, activities, and resources to support positive mental health and well being.
Session Five: Stress and Relaxation
To examine what causes us stress and to recognise the general components of stress.
- An introduction to relaxation skills.
- An introduction to what causes us stress and what stress is.
- To begin to develop an awareness of the impact of stress on our thoughts, feelings, (emotional and physical) and on our behaviour.
- To develop ideas of effective coping strategies to deal with stress.
- ‘Stilling Script’ activity sheet
- Image of scales
- Chocolate money or sweets
- ‘Scenario’ activity sheets
- Large drawn outline of body
- ‘Tips for Beating Stress’ activity sheet
- Relaxation Scripts activity sheets
- Relaxation music
- ‘Physical Symptoms of Stress’ activity sheet
- Evaluation sheets.
Welcome back to the group. Ask if participants have had any thoughts about the session ...