- Subject index
Social work in the 21st century is facing great change and upheaval in a period of Government austerity measures. From worsening pay rates to limited resources, these are increasingly challenging times in which social workers practice. It is therefore important that social work students are prepared for the realities of working within the modern social care system - that they have the tools and skills to care for themselves, and not just others. This book is a straightforward guide on how to cope with the stress and pressures of today’s social work environment by developing the right skills and knowledge. It will help students learn from a very early stage how to be at their best; from developing strategies to look after themselves and making ...
Chapter 1: Stress and the Social Work Role
- The importance of resilience for social workers
- The centrality of emotional labour in social work
- Impact of the political and economic climate and the media on social work
- Physical and psychological effects of stress
- Understanding the nature of burnout
- How to understand when we are stressed or experiencing burnout
- Internal and external loci of control and how they affect our response to stress
- Practical steps to develop an internal locus of control
If you were lucky enough to have a foreign holiday this year you will have (or should have) listened to a cabin safety announcement. One of the things about the safety announcement which is memorable to ...