- Subject index
Social work in the 21st century is facing great change and upheaval in a period of Government austerity measures. From worsening pay rates to limited resources, these are increasingly challenging times in which social workers practice. It is therefore important that social work students are prepared for the realities of working within the modern social care system - that they have the tools and skills to care for themselves, and not just others. This book is a straightforward guide on how to cope with the stress and pressures of today’s social work environment by developing the right skills and knowledge. It will help students learn from a very early stage how to be at their best; from developing strategies to look after themselves and making ...
Chapter 7: Making the Most of Supervision and Other Sources of Support
- The importance of supervision
- Functions of supervision
- Defining and understanding reflective supervision
- Enhancing reflective supervision through mindfulness
- The 10 key elements of mindful reflective supervision
- Becoming a supervisor
- Forming a supervision contract
- Preparing for and recording supervision
- Putting into practice the learning from supervision
- Reviewing and evaluating supervision
- Alternative approaches – group supervision and action learning
- Building a supportive network
Good supervision is absolutely fundamental to good social work. It is a highly complex job with serious ramifications if mistakes are made. It is also, as we have discussed in earlier chapters, a job with a great deal of emotional labour. And yet many social workers are not receiving the ...