Chapter 14: Ethnography
Using examples, this chapter:
- Introduces ethnography as process and product.
- Considers its main characteristics.
- Confronts and responds to criticisms of its strengths and weaknesses.
- Summarises key methods, notably ‘participant’ observation.
- Examines recent developments in virtual ethnography.
- Recommends a resurgence of interest.
Both ethnography and empirical studies of education leadership and management are at ‘crossroads’ moments in their development. The core intentions of ...